LEST WE FORGET 23
125 Years Ago
June 11, 1896
Ten dogs, valuable and otherwise, have been poisoned the past week. A reward of $50 is being offered for the culprit.
Henry C. Shippee has purchased the interest of his partner, Paul D. Brown in the drug business in Rochelle.
100 Years Ago
June 9, 1921
Eber Higby’s shoe sop was entered sometime over the weekend and six pairs of shoes were taken from the stock.
The ten ton steam roller which was used by the Pleas Construction Co. here last fall lies bottom side up in a deep ditch at the east end of the business district. The accident occurred when the machine was being loaded onto a flat car.
Faust H. Boyd, local dealer, announces that Dodge automobile have been reduced. The touring car now retails for $1,028, the sedan for $1,910 and the coupe for $1,710.
Frank Aschenbrenner’s home on the E. F. Gehant farm five miles south of town was destroyed by fire Saturday evening.
75 Years Ago
June 13, 1946
Earl J. Anderson has been engaged to teach chemistry, physics and general math at A. C. H. S. succeeding Roy Hovious who resigned to accept a position in Texas.
Property owners south of the C & NW railway are being canvassed to form a property owners’ improvement association.
Mrs. Orla Kersten has been awarded a journalism letter for outstanding work as assistant advertising manager of the Iowa State Daily Student. She also was chairman of the annual spring formal of Kappa Delta.
50 Years Ago
June 10, 1971
A large congregation gathered at the side of the new United Methodist Church on Sunday, May 30 for the cornerstone laying ceremonies. The stone was laid in place by Wallace Clover, vice chairman of the building committee.
Ron’s Food Market advertises pure fresh lean ground beef for 59 cents per pound; Dial bath soap, 3 for 49 cents; Pillsbury fudge brownie mix for 49 cents and Centrella salad dressing for 39 cents per quart.
Now showing at Hub Theatre “Equinox” and “Night of the Living Dead” and coming soon “Great White Hope.”
Mrs. Gerald Spires left Sunday to join her husband in Frankfort, Germany, where he is stationed.
25 Years Ago
June 6, 1996
The Franklin Grove Woman’s Club presented the keys to the new fully enclosed park shelter at Atlasta Park to village officials Kathy Yocum and Robert Logan, during Sunday afternoon dedication ceremonies.
The class of 1936 held their reunion May 25 at the Mills and Petrie where they graduated 60 years ago and also presented the first class play in the new building. Attending were Frances Jennings Jarrett, Rogene Henert Rounds, Leland Vogeler, Raymond Farver, Lyle Naylor, Edward Peters and George Messer.
To commemorate Chana’s 125 Anniversary the Chana Post Office will offer a pictorial cancellation on June 7, 8 and 9.